Thursday, November 26, 2009

Fall Greens in the Green Mountain State

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I have lots to be grateful for this year, as always, and the publication of Ten Ways to Change the World in Your Twenties has given me many opportunities to travel and see friends this holiday season. I was in Vermont this past week at a book party hosted by Buch Spieler in Montpelier, and I was also able to head to the Round Barn in Waitsfield for the annual Thanksgiving Farmer's Market.

Waitsfield is in the "valley", which is home to the Mad River Glen and Sugarbush ski areas, and it also boasts a wealth of small farms. While the farmers' market is not year-round (it is a region of the country that relies on snow, remember), farmers bring out their end-of-season bounty for the annual Thanksgiving market.

I was on my way to Spain, so I didn't have the chance to enjoy too much of the local produce, but I was able to get some amazing maple syrup and raspberry jam, both of which which will soon be on their way to Jordan with my husband, and I made an incredible salad from the carrots, radishes, and hearty greens I picked up.

And, if I was going to be there for Thanksgiving, I could have feasted on the potatoes, squash, onions, garlic, and mixed greens that are all in season now.

Just to get you in the mood, here is one of my favorite desserts for the holiday season:

Hazelnut Linzertorte with Cranberry-Apricot Filling (note that I find I need to cook at 375 instead of at 350)

No comments: