Friday, December 18, 2009

Ten Ways - A User's Manual

By my mid-twenties, I had left a successful career in Hollywood film production in order to become a middle school teacher. I was experiencing the quintessential “quarterlife crisis”, and I was determined to find a way to make a difference, not just earn a living. I was also looking for resources to provide me with information about social and environmental causes, as well as organizations that I could easily get involved with, either professionally or as a volunteer. When I realized that there was no single book that did this, I decided to write one.

I knew that I was not alone in my quest. Many people leave college with both the idealism and energy necessary to improve the world in which they live, but they often lack the resources and guidance to do so efficiently and effectively. I wanted to offer those in their twenties and beyond an easy to use resource that would inspire and empower them to take action.

Ten Ways to Change the World in Your Twenties is organized into ten thematic chapters, each of which is filled with concrete suggestions, companies, and Internet resources, as well as examples of individuals who are already making a difference in the world.

Each of the suggestions is ranked according to three major categories:

  • Its impact on your budget

  • The amount of time it is likely to consume

  • And its effect on your current lifestyle
I hope you find that Ten Ways is a resource that you refer back to often as you embark on your own world-changing adventure!

No comments: